Thursday, May 3, 2007

Wii

YAY! I have a Wii! I did not get one when they first went on sale. I have waited patiently for months for a new release, until I could not stand it anymore last week and decided to buy a Wii in ... Madrid. Yes, Madrid as in the capital of Spain. As the Wii is still out-of-stock in my home town and no new release date has been communicated yet, I decided not to wait anymore and to try if I could buy one abroad rather then to wait till Xmas 2007. So finally I have a Wii and I can tell you that it is really fun playing. Being a non-gamer at heart (so I thought) I slowly changed into a Wii-addict. I have only played two games so far, so my experience with Wii games is still very limited.


DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! It is fun playing "Rayman: Raving Rabbids". The graphics may not be of such a high quality as in 'Gears of War' for the Xbox 360, but I would rate it a 10+ for FUN!! You can take up any challenge and work on your skills or just shake your booty and you can even have a work-out. This game has it all. Experience "Rayman: Raving Rabbids" by playing "tossing cows" (how cruel! I am against this degrading 'game' so I refuse to play it, unlike M who acted as if he was a western cowboy ...) or "rabbits don't like closed doors" in which you have to close the door while the rabbits poo and wee... or "gifts" when you are given a bomb after which you have to run like hell to 'dump' the bomb at another rabbit. These are just a few examples of the game "Rayman: Raving Rabbids" and I can recommend to everyone to give this game a try.


And what about Wii Sports, a game that makes your muscles feel sore, makes you sweat and in some cases even lose weight. This is the part where most girls get interested to read this post and sigh relieved. Good news for those girls, because Zander Urquhart, a personal trainer, has developed a program to lose weight by playing with the Wii. His idea is so successful that he has a four-week waiting list for clients desperate to get that bikini-shape. He said: "I was watching this five-year-old who needed encouragement to do any exercise, but here he was for half an hour, running about playing tennis, boxing and baseball and working up a sweat. I started thinking about how useful this could be for other groups." This class was originally intended for children, but soon Urquhart realised that adults were as keen as their children. Too bad if you are not a local, as Zander Urquhart seems to be the only person offering these classes, IN GLASGOW!


Another story about losing weight by playing with the Wii is the one about Mickey Delorenzo, a computer programmer from Philadelphia. Mickey lost nine pounds in six weeks by playing the Wii 30 minutes a day without any adjustments in his diet or daily activities. He ate what he would normally eat and did what he would normally do. Mickey Delorenzo lost the weight by using full body motion, by moving his feet and his arms to mimic the real thing. By using the full range of your arms and feet he had more results than if he would sat on the couch and made small moves. So if you want to get into that bikini-shape by using the Wii, it means you have to exercise more than just your thumbs.

Now if only someone would discover a way to burn calories while blogging...

No comments: